Learn and Share How To Do Just Anything

How To Insert Table Of Contents In Microsoft Word

by PONSAKYAMSAT » 01 Jun 2014, 01:07
This is the first part of our series on Document structuring. By the end of this series you will be able to type your document, have an automatic table of content, table of figures, table of authorities and index that updates page numbers and content entries at the click of a button. Learn to insert section breaks of different types to achieve a desired result and learn to page number your work appropriately all in a single document.

Now in order to create a table of contents either on a finished job or on work that is currently being typed is actually a walk in the park once you get your hands on the nutty-gritty of things. So lets get down to business.

AUTOMATED TABLE OF CONTENTS

An automated table of contents is achieved by the type of heading structures inserted into a document. Simply put the type of heading used in the document allows Microsoft word with the required information needed to create a table of contents automatically. So how do we get it done?

STEP 1

With your open document and select a heading you wish to use to automate the table of contents.

STEP 2

With the text selected go to the menu ribbon and choose the desired structure

be it HEADING 1, HEADING 2 or HEADING 3 etc in this case we'll use Heading 1

it should be duly noted here that:

Heading 1: Should be used for main headings like CHAPTER ONE

Heading 2: Should be used for Sub headings like 1.0 Introduction

Heading 3. Should be used for minor heading like 1.1 The basics of Microsoft Word

STEP 3

All headings should be selected and restructured accordingly throughout the whole document, when this is done were ready to proceed

Note: The font color, size and type may change so we advise after changing the structure change the color, size and font type as desired .

STEP 4

Were now ready to insert the table of contents automatically. Go to the menu ribbon and click REFERENCES, on the references tab click table of contents, scroll down and select CUSTOM TABLE OF CONTENTS this will open the table of contents dialog box.
STEP 5

On the table of contents dialog box select the number of levels you used in your headings (i.e select 2 if you used Heading 1 and Heading 2 only or 3 if you used Heading 1, Heading 2 and Heading 3 or 1 if you used only Heading 1)

STEP 6

Click OK to have your table of contents drawn up at the current cursor location

Note: Always remember to have your cursor at the location where you want to insert the table of contents

Cool right?

Cheers.

Ponsak #AskPonsak

by MarinaEr » 09 Dec 2014, 21:32
I am trying to insert images into a sql server database? I make the data type as image already but i dont know how to insert the image into the database? Any help will be great

By the way, the best program for marketing, SEO and SMM for me - it a XRumer 12.0.9 Elite :)
by Timothypaw » 14 Dec 2014, 19:52
You can put a link to www.hownow.com in your forum?
by HowNow » 22 Dec 2014, 05:54
Timothypaw wrote:You can put a link to http://www.hownow.com in your forum?
Yes. Thank you.